According to the National Safety Council, motorcycles accounted for 14% of every road fatalities in 2017, despite making up only 3% of registered vehicles on roads.
Here are a few essential motorcycle safety tips for driving on Utah highways:
- Allow extra room, space, and time for other vehicles to stop when there is traffic
- Collisions cause a frequent cause of motorcycle and vehicle accidents in intersections. Ensure you check appropriately before making that left turn, especially if the motorcycle has the right of way.
- Consult a motorcycle attorney to help you become familiar with the lane filtering law.
- Note that in Utah, it is illegal for motorcyclists to filter between lanes while on the highway.
- Always check your blind spots before changing lanes or making any lane changes. Motorcycles may be quick and difficult to spot in the blind spot.
Motorcycle Safety Tips for Motorcyclists
- Ensure you have motorcycle insurance since it is a requirement in Utah.
- Dress brightly or appropriately to help you stand out from a driver.
- Dress safely, including wearing a helmet at all times.
- Ensure you have access to a highly-qualified motorcycle attorney in case of anything. Robert J. DeBry & Associates can provide you with the best motorcycle attorney in Utah.