Drivers today should know the importance of contacting the authorities after a car accident, but how many contact a car accident lawyer? Maybe you’ve considered this but thought only certain accidents require legal help. That might be because when you watch law firm commercials on television, they do not specify what would make an accident qualify for legal help. However, we want to clear that up!
We here at Robert J. DeBry have created this blog post to help you understand when you should hire an attorney for your potential car accident case. Here is what you need to know.
Obvious Claims Don’t Require an Attorney
First off, let’s start with cases that don’t require the assistance of a car accident lawyer. Cases in which fault is obvious and there are little to no injuries don’t usually require an attorney. If you were involved in a low-speed rear-end collision where there was minimal damage, no one was injured, and the guilty party readily admits fault, there isn’t a need to investigate. These types of situations can usually be taken care of by local authority figures. The only time you might have issues here is if the guilty party is denying fault or not working with you to get you the compensation you deserve.
Other Situations that Might Require Legal Advice
There are times that may require you to get legal advice from an attorney, even if you don’t end up hiring them. Seek out legal advice if:
- You don’t know how to evaluate your claim
- You lack confidence in your ability to negotiate a settlement
- The adjuster is offering you a structured settlement
- Liability between the parties is unclear
Cases in Which You Need to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
Finally, there are some auto accident cases in which you need to hire an attorney without hesitation. You must hire a car accident lawyer if:
- The insurance company has denied your claim and you believe they are incorrect in their denial
- The insurance company has offered you a settlement which is too low
- You are seriously injured and have accrued significant medical bills
- The circumstances regarding the accident are complex and require investigation
- The seriously-injured party involves a minor
- Liability is being disputed and you believe that you are not responsible or only partially responsible for the accident
- The other party has served you with a lawsuit
Car accidents can get complex and hiring a car accident lawyer is the best way to ensure that you are receiving the compensation that you deserve. If you’re in need of legal assistance after an accident, contact us here at Robert J. DeBry and Associates.