As we make our way into spring, we get a little bit closer to the hundred deadliest days. If you’re unaware, the hundred deadliest days take place in the summer months of June, July and August. While summer is a time for vacation and relaxation, it also brings with it significant threats to drivers, both new and experienced, with more teens being killed than any other age group.
Whether these threats come in the form of new teen drivers, summer road rage, or as a result of late-night driving, it’s important to know what you should do if you’re involved in a fatal car accident. The experienced team of car accident lawyers here at Robert J. DeBry and Associates has created a guide for drivers to follow if they ever find themselves in a fatal accident.
Teens and the Hundred Deadliest Days Stats
Before we dive into what you should do if you’re involved in an accident during the hundred deadliest days, there are some statistics that you should be aware of:
- 60% of teen car accidents are caused by distracted driving.
- The top distraction for teens is other passengers, which accounts for 15%
- Only 12% are caused by texting or talking on a cell phone.
- An average of 260 teens are killed in car accidents during the summer months
- This is an increase of 26% compared to the other months throughout the year.
- Teens have the highest crash rate of any age group.
- Car accidents are the leading cause of death for teens.
- The teen driver fatality rate is 43% during the hundred deadliest days.
Most Common Contributing Factors in a Fatal Accident
A car accident lawyer will tell you that there are three common contributors when it comes to a fatal car accident: distracted driving, fatigued driving, and reckless driving.
- Distracted Driving — The use of cell phones, eating while driving, talking to other passengers, putting on makeup, and listening to the radio too loudly and intently can all be contributing factors to a distracted driving accident.
- Fatigued Driving — When you are physically exhausted but still continue to drive. This can be as dangerous as driving under the influence.
- Reckless Driving — Driving too fast with disregard for traffic laws and the safety of other drivers is another high-ranking cause of fatal car accidents.
What Should You Do After a Fatal Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a fatal accident and someone you love was killed, you should immediately hire a wrongful death lawyer to help you build your case. if you were the responsible party in a fatal accident, you should still consider hiring a wrongful death lawyer. Below is what we’d recommend you should do and what you should expect in the aftermath of an accident that resulted in a wrongful death.
Contact Emergency Services: The first thing that you’ll want to do after a fatal accident is to contact emergency services to rush to the scene. This is the best way to attempt to save someone who is in a fatal condition after an accident.
You want to make sure that you don’t move the fatally-injured victim too much, as it could make matters worse. However, if there is a way to move the victim out of a dangerous situation, you should do your best to move them to a safer place.
If the victim happens to pass before the emergency services arrive or at the scene, the police are going to have to determine that the other driver was responsible for the passing of someone in your vehicle. A wrongful death lawyer will need this information.
File a Civil Lawsuit: If someone you love has been killed during the accident, you should file a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party. The police will need to determine that the death was a result of the other driver’s negligence. Afterward, contact your wrongful death lawyer and they’ll be able to help you get the compensation that you deserve.
Arrests During Fatal Car Accidents: There are some situations where a person’s unsafe driving habits or recklessness can be seen as criminal rather than an accident. For example, if a driver struck another vehicle while driving under the influence, speeding, or failing to abide by other traffic laws, they may be arrested on criminal charges.
How Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Can Help
A wrongful death lawyer from Robert J. DeBry and Associates can help you file your claim and get you the compensation that you deserve for your loss. Whether its lost wages, emotional damages, or extensive medical bills, wrongful death is financially and emotionally taxing on you and your family, and this is why we’re prepared to stand by you until the end to make sure that you and your family are taken care of.
Contact us today if you’re in need of an experienced wrongful death lawyer to handle your case — we’re available 24/7 to help answer any legal questions you may have when it comes to your case.