It’s recommended that you hire the legal assistance of a personal injury lawyer when you’re involved in an accident, but can there be times where it’s not necessarily essential? This ultimately depends on the size of the case and what occurred, however, there are some steps that you can take to handle your own case if it suits your interests. If you believe you don’t need the assistance of a personal injury lawyer, here are some tips for handling your own case if you’re involved in a minor accident such as a fender bender.
The First Steps
There are some things that you should do first when going through the process of handling your own case. These include:
- Not giving a recorded statement to the other person’s insurance.
- Getting the medical treatment that you need ASAP.
- Making sure that you understand your claim’s time limits. (statute of limitations).
- Getting a copy of the police report.
- Taking pictures of the damages and or injuries at the accident scene.
- Not posting about the accident on any social media platforms.
You should also be able to estimate the cost of damages at the accident scene. A personal injury lawyer will tell you that there are two types of damages in a personal injury case: Damages which are capable of exact calculation, otherwise known as “special” damages, and damages not capable of exact calculation, also known as “general” damages.
Special damages include costs that arise from property damages, lost wages, medical bills and other financial losses.
These tips are going to be crucial in making sure that you get the proper settlement when you deal with the insurance company. A personal injury lawyer can help you avoid losing out on compensation. Only attempt to handle a claim on your own if you know what to look for.