Tips from a Personal Injury Lawyer
Appearing for a court hearing can be somewhat scary and sometimes even confusing. Filled with formalities, rules, and the fear of not getting the desired outcome you had hoped for, waiting for your court appearance may seem hard to cope with. While you may be considering all this, there are a few things that you can do to make the court appearance less challenging. First, consider finding a personal injury lawyer to help you.
Some of these preparations include:
Find a Good Personal Injury Lawyer
Some people prefer self-representation. However, it is in your best interest to have an attorney represent you. If your case involves an accident or a fall, you should get a personal injury lawyer. Lawyers are knowledgeable about the laws you need for your case to get a fair settlement. Choose a lawyer you can trust and who puts your best interests before anything else.
It is essential to be well prepared for your first court appearance, so get everything in order before time to ensure everything is in place.
- Confirm the court date, location, and time.
- Whether you are the plaintiff or defendant, it is crucial to read the complaint filed. This is the document that the judge will read when looking for items of the complaint.
- Prepare copies of contracts or written communication between you and the opposing side. The judge will expect both parties to be aware and familiar with these documents.
- Review facts of the case and communicate with your personal injury lawyer to ensure they have everything they need for the case.
- Identify and prepare witnesses, if any. The witness should support a critical point in your case, have no reason to lie, and be able and willing to testify.
- Practice with your personal injury lawyer what you are going to say in court. Take time to go through a cross and direct examination.
Choose an Appropriate Outfit
Choose an outfit that is professional, conservative, and respectful. Your outfit should be one that you would wear to a job interview or business meeting. Pick neutral tones and conventional hemlines. Other details such as hair, shoes, makeup, and accessories also matter.
Visit the Courthouse Before Your Appearance.
Identify the route you need to take to the courthouse without getting lost. Make your visit a day prior, about the same time you are scheduled for your appearance. Find out about the parking and the convenience of accessing it—plan to arrive early at the courthouse on the day of your appearance, preferably an hour earlier.
At Robert J. Debry & Associates, we are your premier attorneys in Utah. Having expressed our expertise with landmark cases such as the Zantac recall, we believe we are best suited to help you achieve the desired results in your case.
Get in touch with us today for information about our services.