Robert DeBry


CALL OR TEXT NOW: (801) 888-8888

Robert DeBry Robert DeBry Robert DeBry Robert DeBry Robert DeBry Robert DeBry Robert DeBry

Do You Have to Report an Accident in Utah?

When we think of car accidents, the first thing that comes to mind is contacting the authorities and dealing with insurance companies. But, do you really have to report every accident that you’re in? A fender bender may seem like a minor accident, but complications like injuries and damages can make it so that you have to contact the authorities, as well as a car accident lawyer. However, of the fender bender results in no damages or injuries, it may seem ludicrous to even bother reporting the accident. So, what do you do?

Accidents range in severity, so it’s important to know what characteristics constitute an accident case where a car accident lawyer and local authorities are necessary in resolving a case. Here are some tips you’d expect to hear from a car accident lawyer when it comes to reporting accidents in Utah.

Accidents in Which There was No Damage or Injuries

In accidents where there were no injuries or damages, it can seem pointless to report to the insurance companies, however, the authorities will tell you that you should report all accidents. Additionally, contracts with insurance companies usually obligate you to do so as well. However, if the accident causes less than $1500 in damages and both parties involved are content, you are likely okay to not report the incident. More specifically now, you must notify law enforcement as soon as possible after a crash that results in death, injury or property damage that exceeds $1500; failure to do so is a class C misdemeanor.

In cases where there is no damage and the parties still decide to contact the authorities, police precincts may not even forward the police report to the insurance companies. Car accident lawyers follow these same principles but acknowledge that what you do though is entirely your choice. Not calling the authorities risks losing out on compensation if and when damages or injuries show up later down the road.

More serious Accidents

You should report any accident in which you or the other party have sustained injuries or damages to your respective vehicles. Even if the aftermath of an accident seems minor, you should still contact a car accident lawyer, inform your insurance company and call the authorities. Small damages to your vehicle can prove to be detrimental, and injuries which may seem minor could develop into more severe ones later on.

In any case, you should report every accident you’re involved in, as the risk involved with brushing it off could prove to be harmful both to your financial and physical health. If you or someone you know has been involved in an accident and need legal representation, contact a car accident lawyer here at Robert J. DeBry and Associates.

By |2019-07-15T17:48:49-07:00July 16th, 2019|auto accident, personal injury law|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment