Riding a bike is an excellent alternative to driving a car for short commutes. Not only are you getting fresh air and exercise, but you don’t have to worry about parking, but it does not pollute the air, its’ quieter, and frees up vehicular traffic on the road. Yet, no matter how bicycle-friendly the city, accidents do happen, and that is when you need a personal injury lawyer.
Why Is Bike Safety Important?
While the numbers are going down each year, there were almost 467,000 bicycle-related injuries in 2015. These injuries range from superficial scrapes and bruises to broken bones, skull fractures, and even brain, spinal, or organ trauma. These injuries take time to heal, but in some cases, the effects are permanent, which is why some people need a personal injury lawyer.
Along with injuries, there are also deaths associated with bicycle-related accidents. In 2015, the number of fatalities reached over 1,000, while in 2018, those numbers reached 854. Deaths are easily avoidable, particularly when the city or town takes measures such as introducing bike lanes as NTC did.
How To Stay Safe
There are many ways to ensure your safety while riding a bike. These ways include:
- Acting as a driver of a vehicle. Ride with the flow of traffic and don’t swerve into a lane or in and out of traffic.
- Be visible at all times. Assume others won’t see you. Wear neon or fluorescent colors, reflective items, and use reflectors on your bike.
- Follow road rules. Obey traffic lights, speed limits, and lane markings. Signal your turns in advance and yield to pedestrians and vehicles.
- Get the right bike for you. Don’t ride a bike that’s too small or too big for you. There should be 1 to 2 inches of clearance between you and the bar.
- Protect your head. Protecting your head goes without saying, but make sure your helmet fits well, and don’t tip if back.
Finding the right personal injury lawyer for your bicycle accident is essential. Our law firm stands up to insurance companies to protect the rights of victims throughout the state of Utah. With over 250 years of combined experience, contact a personal injury attorney at Robert J. Debry & Associates today to put yourself in our safe hands.