The Utah Department of Public Safety notes in 2020; 463 bicycles were involved in accidents, eight were fatal. Although bicycles and cars follow the same traffic laws, the number one cause of these bike accidents occurs when a bike and a car collide.
Most deaths that come from bicycle accidents take place in urban areas and at non-intersection locations.
The top cause of bike accidents in Utah is bicycle and car collisions. This has been the leading cause since the ‘90s. From 1992-1997, over 5,423 bicyclists were hit by cars in Utah. According to the CDC, there were almost 467,000 bicycle-related injuries from accidents in the United States in 2015.
Bicycle and Automobile crashes often occur from the following:
- Bicyclists or cars do not obey traffic laws
- Auto driver making unsafe left or right turns
- A bicyclist riding from driveway or sidewalk into the path of a car
- Auto driver opening door as bicycle passes
- Bicycle rider weaving, leaving the edge of road or bike lane
- Bicyclist making an unsafe left turn
- Bicycle without lights or reflectors
Hiring the Right Help
When hiring an accident lawyer in Utah, consider Robert J. DeBry & Associates. We specialize in protecting the rights of cyclers who may have had a collision with a car or other bike accident injuries or fatalities. Hiring an accident lawyer in Utah experienced in cycling-related accidents will give you the best chance of success in court.